They say that your pearly whites are the best accessories. It fits any outfit and will never go out of style. But sometimes we may want to hide them, especially if they are discolored or stained. If that is your biggest concern, do not fret because we have you covered.
This article enumerates the numerous ways to restore your confidence.
Why Are My Teeth Discolored?
A reputable dentist will point out several reasons why your teeth are discolored or stained. You can control some of these reasons while others are out of your reach. You can monitor your diet and your lifestyle. But you cannot stop aging, trauma to a permanent tooth, necessary medications and hereditary conditions are beyond your control.
What you eat and drink have a significant impact on your teeth’s whiteness. Let us take your coffee or your daily glass of wine. They can wreak havoc on your teeth’s enamel, as can the following:
- Carbohydrates: Some of the tastiest foods on the planet are some of the worst for your tooth enamel. They carry a lot of sugar that can affect your overall oral health.
- Sweets: As mentioned earlier, sugar can damage your teeth. Considering that gums and candies are made entirely of sugar, can you imagine what they can do? For starters, they can cause cavities.
- Sugared beverages: Whether it is fruit juice, energy drinks, sports drinks, or sodas, they are all high in sugar. Again, the culprit here is sugar. On top of that, they also contain acid that can attack your white enamel and make your teeth look darker.
- Dark-colored foods and beverages: You do not have to be a dentist to know that blueberries or red wine can make your teeth less white. As a rule of thumb, if they stain your skin, they can stain your teeth.
You might complain to your dentist that this is taking the fun out of life. But it does not have to be the case, you have to drink water after eating (or drinking) dark-colored foods. Most importantly, you need to thoroughly brush and floss.
You can also apply a slightly abrasive ingredient to your toothpaste. It is a proactive measure of protecting your teeth enamel.
How Can I Prevent Teeth Discoloration?
As promised, we will enumerate some tips on how to keep your teeth white. Here they are:
- As mentioned earlier, you need to drink water. Doing so will rinse out the effects of the dark-colored beverage or food. It also washes out food particles and residual sugar and acids that can darken or (worse) destroy your teeth.
- You should also opt for sugar-free beverages. If you are the type of person that cannot live with plain water, you should go for the next best thing which is sugar-free beverages.
- You will be astounded to know that dark cocoa (take note that it has to be dark cocoa) is good for your teeth. It contains flavanols that lessen inflammation while protecting you from dental caries and strengthening your enamel.
If your pearly whites are not as white as before, you may not be as confident to flash a smile. In that case, you should follow the tips enumerated in this article to restore them to their natural beauty.
To ensure that your teeth are in perfect condition, you should visit a reputable dentist in Holladay, UT. At Smart Dental Care, we will restore your teeths whiteness and help improve your overall dental health. Book and appointment now!